What is the Personal Project? Part of the MYP’s focus is to make learning relevant to students’ lives by contextualizing it so they can see the connection between what they learn in the classroom and their local, national, and global communities. To this end, students participate in projects where they can explore a topic or cause that they are passionate about and use their content knowledge learned in school, as well as the skills they develop, understand this connection. Through the projects, students apply use the design cycle to learn how to manage a project independently and monitor their growth, as well as creatively solve challenging obstacles. They specifically focus on applying the Approaches to Learning skills they have learned in their classes in a new and unfamiliar context. These include:
- Research skills
- Organization skills
- Social skills
- Communication skills
- Thinking Skills
- Reflection skills
- Google Classroom online learning platform that syncs with student’s personal calendars
- Outline of dates and materials needed for each deadline
- Personal Project Bootcamp to help students determine their goal and begin initial research
- Graphic organizers and timelines to help students organize their ideas and materials
- Samples of student work and reports
- Templates for writing/organizing final reports
- Extended time -Students will receive an additional week past the due date to complete components of the project, as well as submit their final project. Personal Project Coordinator will work with students’ supervisors with an adjusted schedule.
- Graphic organizers – Students will receive graphic organizers for each part of the project and composing their reports.
- Project report options – Students may elect to present their report in a written report, video report, or oral report. Requirements for each type will be shared with students.
- Verbal and/or physical help – Students who need a scribe or any physical assistance will be provided such assistance in completing the components of the project. The details of this assistance will be determined in conjunction with their caseload manager.